Toxins: What Are They & How to Use Essential Oils for Detoxifying
“The body is a beautiful machine that sometimes gets “gummed up” with stress, toxins, nutritional deficiencies, too many calories, too little sleep, and many, many more imbalances.” - (Dr. Wendie Trubow for Huffington Post). Toxins are all around us in all shapes and sizes, attacking our bodies everyday, which is impossible to avoid. Left untreated, the toxins in our bodies can lead to sickness or disease. Thankfully, our body is a war machine when it comes to handling these foreign substances, and there’s also steps we take to enhance our natural detoxification system.
TOXINS, WHAT ARE THEY ANYWAYS?
Toxins, we talk about them, try to avoid them, and cleanse our bodies to get rid of them; but what exactly are they? According to The Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of a toxin states “A toxin is a poisonous substance that is a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism and is usually very unstable, notably toxic when introduced into the tissues, and typically capable of inducing antibody formation.”
In other words, toxins are harmful agents found in the environment, everyday all around us in the foods we eat, air we breathe and products we consume; such as mercury in fish, or BPA in plastic water bottles, to name a few. Thankfully, our body naturally detoxifies itself everyday, but our body can become overloaded with excess toxins from processed food, drink, sugar, parasites, air and water pollutants. Which can lead to fatigue, constipation, gas, bad breath, low immunity, hormone, imbalances, skin problems, poor circulation, mood swings, depression, and mucus build up.
SO, HOW CAN ESSENTIAL OILS HELP?
Detoxing with essential oils can be a great way to help clear the bad stuff out of your system. When used in conjunction to a healthy, balanced diet, essential oils compliment the holistic, natural cleaning process. Entering the bloodstream through the pores of the skin, essential oils are carried to all parts of the body via the circulatory and lymphatic systems. Since most toxins are stored in your liver and kidneys, it’s best to use essential oils that will help with your body’s digestive process to help move the toxins out of your system.
TIME TO DETOX.
First, what is a ‘detox’? By definition, a detox means “to remove a poisonous or harmful substance.” Your body has two main organs that are responsible for detoxing your entire body - the liver and kidneys. These organs act like filters to separate the toxins from other useful nutrients.
In our Detox blend, we’ve worked with a team of Certified Aromatherapists to create the perfect blend to help your body rid itself of harmful toxins. Our roll-on blend features five 100% all natural pure essential oils, juniper berry, fennel, lemon, peppermint, and sandalwood in a jojoba carrier oil.
Breakdown on Detox Blend Ingredients:
- Fennel Essential Oil: A natural gut healer; reduces and prevents gut spasms and cramps in the intestinal area.
- Lemon Essential Oil: A carminative; helps relieve various stomach problems such as indigestion, acidity, and cramps.
- Juniper Berry Essential Oil: A diuretic; promotes blood circulation, which helps in the removal of toxins like uric acid from the body.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: A helpful aid in digestion as it's a carminative and helps in removing excess gas. It can relax the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract and has been proven to be a reliever of the painful symptoms of IBS.
- Sandalwood Essential Oil: A natural inflammatory agent providing relief to all areas of the body including the brain, digestive, nervous, circulatory and excretory systems.